Sunday, February 5, 2012

Never Stop Growing!


It seems lately I am reminded more and more of how far away I am from where God wants me to be. He is constantly reminding me that He desires more from me. However, I am also learning that I cannot go where He wants me to as long as I am holding on to things that are not of HIM. It would be so much easier to find contentment in where I am at, but I know I was made for more. As a Christian, I should never stop growing. There is always room to grow. God's Word is alive. It is RELEVANT and It always has a message for us if we are listening.

 Lately, It has been telling me that I need to GROW. It is also telling me I have got a lot of issues and hangups that I need to get rid of if I am going to grow. Our natural tendencies are not of God. As humans, we are suspicious, envious, needy, judgmental, selfish, impatient, critical, angry, gossipy, deceitful, sometimes we even delight in seeing others fail. However, Galatians 5:22-23 tells us that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These are qualities that all Christians should possess. Unfortunately, I fall short quite often.

In Romans 7:15 Paul says, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate to do." I can totally relate! In verse 18 he says, " ..I have the desire to do what it is good, but I cannot carry it out." Ditto! I don't want to have these bad feelings and habits. I really want to be good! But, in my natural self, it just isn't possible.

The good news is that we are not alone in this fight of good vs. evil. We cannot be good on our own, but Jesus has given us the ultimate tool against evil. His Spirit. Jesus is the only perfect one, but if we study His Word and desire to keep growing as Christians, His Spirit will guide us and help us to be more like Him.If I will do my part, His Spirit will help me with the rest.

It is not going to be easy, but I do have the choice. Everyday, I have the choice to make. Who am I going to give glory to on this day? Will I choose prayer over gossip? Will I lash out or will I have patience with those that hurt me? Will I be envious or happy when good things happen to others? Will I be judgmental or understanding? Will I be selfish or giving? The choices we make everyday are endless, but if we seek to grow as Christians, we must learn to make the right ones and get rid of our natural sinful tendencies.

Thank You, Lord for creating in me the desire to do more for You! Thank You for convicting me when I am not in Your will. Thank you for the people that You have placed in my life who offer encouragement. Thank you for a wonderful pastor, church family, teachers and Bible study leaders. Thank you for Christian friends and family who can sympathize with me and give me support when I need it. Thank you for all of the tools you have given me to live a Godly life. Please help me to use them wisely. Help me to never stop growing in my walk with You! You are so Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment