Wednesday, February 29, 2012

License for Immorality?

"For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the GRACE of our God into a LICENSE for IMMORALITY and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." ~Jude 4.

I came across this verse in my study today. It really jumped out at me. First of all, it was very convicting. How many sins do I keep committing, because I know that I will be forgiven? Secondly, how many people are out there, that seem to be sure of their salvation, yet continue to live an ungodly life?

I lived that way for many years. I felt sure that I was saved. I thought I was going to Heaven, but I did not honor God with my life. I had a relationship with Him, but it was not the relationship that He desired to have with me. We were more of acquaintances than best friends. I had no real desire to change or to grow.

I am so thankful for my grandmother who led me to a Bible study group on Thursday mornings. I doubt that I would have ever gone to it on my own, but she bought me the book and then I felt like I had no choice but to go! It has been the best thing that has ever happened to me, spiritually. I have learned so much. I've met many other young mothers that have the same struggles as I do. They are an encouragement and an example to me. It has brought me so much closer to Jesus. Now, He really is my best friend. 

Living a "good life" is no longer a burden to me. It's something I want to do. I no longer use the assurance of my salvation as a license to do whatever I want. I have no desire to do the things I used to do. I definitely still have a lot to work on, but I am thankful that He opened my eyes and now I can see my sin and what I need to change. James 2:17 says that faith without works is dead. No, your good deeds cannot get you into Heaven, but if your faith is genuine, you will want to do good! The two go hand-in-hand.

I urge everyone to look into their own lives. Do you truly desire to live godly? If you know you need to change, don't put it off any longer. The devil will always give you an excuse not to do it today. And you know what? The devil is a liar! There is no excuse good enough. It is so worth the time and effort! I regret the years I wasted. How much farther in my faith could I be, if I had not wasted all that time! 

Thank You, God, for your grace and mercy and for forgiveness. Help us to never take your grace for granted but to always honor You. Thank You for your Spirit that convicts us of our immorality. Thank You for placing in me a desire to live a more godly life. Thank You for the godly people you have placed in my life to guide me in the right direction. In Jesus's name, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment