Monday, March 5, 2012

Word vs. World

This past week has been an awesome week of study for me. I have been much better about studying the Bible everyday. I didn't study it everyday, but I did do much better! Wednesday night study, Thursday morning study and Sunday school all seemed to follow the same theme this week, as they do most of the time. "How different should we be from the 'world' "? This has been on my mind all last week and I received many insights from my different groups throughout the week.

The fact that we are supposed to be different from the world is very reassuring for me. I've never really fit in quite right anyway. ;-) Let's have a look at what God's Word tells us we should be, as opposed to what the world tells us we should be:

  • The World says, "You must be beautiful to be loved." - Psalms 139:13 says, "For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb." Romans 8:38-39 says, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." There ya go! God created us, just as we are. He loves us just as we are. There is nothing we could ever do and nothing in this universe that could ever make Him stop loving us! That's good enough for me!
  •  The World tells us, "You need to make lots of money!"-There is nothing wrong with having lots of money. It is nice! But, it's not really a requirement of being a good Christian. On the contrary, Jesus was poor. He didn't have nice clothes, a car or even a house. He came as the lowest of the low to the lowest of the low, with nothing, and He got by just fine. If He he got by with nothing, then I think I will do just fine without expensive clothes, a nice big house and all that other stuff that the world thinks will make me happy. 
  • The World tells us, "Don't let anyone else be better than you!"- This is something I think even the holiest Christian may struggle with. We all want to have the highest achievements and notoriety, even if it is for something we are doing for God. The truth is that God calls us all to be something different. Yes, there are some people out there who seem to be doing great things and getting lots of recognition, but the world also needs janitors, child-care workers, teachers, bus drivers, garbage truck men, etc... The important thing to remember is that God is calling you to do something and whatever it is, that is what He wants for YOU. It won't look like what He is calling someone else to do, but it is still just as important.We should do EVERYTHING we do for GOD's GLORY!
  • The World says, "Everybody panic!"-Okay, it's true. This world is in pretty bad shape. There is no end to things we could worry about. The economy, the election, war, poverty, national disasters....the list goes on and on and on. But, what does God's Word say? Jesus himself said, "So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek FIRST his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." AMEN! That is not to say that we shouldn't be concerned for others. Jesus does want us to help where there is need, but He does NOT want us to be anxious about anything. I once read somewhere that the commandment given most in the Bible is "Do not fear." If we are Christians, there really is nothing to fear. God has the whole world in His hands. Our future is secure. Take your worries to the Lord in prayer and leave them with Him. 
  • The World says, "Jesus isn't cool."- This verse is one of my favorites, because I am naturally so shy. It has freed me so much from that timidity that I once had. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." verse 8 goes on to say, "So do NOT be ashamed to testify about our Lord..." It can be EXTREMELY difficult to speak about Jesus to those who do not know Him. Especially with friends and family members. No one wants to be made fun of or to be thought of as strange. It's one of the worst feelings in the world. Everything about our culture screams that Jesus isn't cool. He is mocked and ridiculed constantly on television and in secular music. If there happens to be a Christian on television who professes their beliefs, then they are mocked and ridiculed. Galatians 6:7 says, "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." All of these people who choose to mock God will be judged for that one day. We have no reason to stand by and not profess our beliefs. Yes, we will be mocked, but James 1:2 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." The Bible tells us many times that we will suffer for His name. If you do face persecution for the gospel, be glad! That means that you are doing right. And rest assured that if you are spending eternal life with Jesus, you will be much "cooler" than those that are mocking Him today!
I could go on and on about the differences in the world and the Word, but this is a blog not a book. ;) These were the ones that stood out to me the most this past week. I am so thankful that I no longer have to feel bad about myself for not fitting in. I'm not supposed to fit in! If any of you have been struggling with these issues, I pray that you have found comfort. I am so thankful for a God that supplies me with just what I need. I am different because I was made to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment